Rusty Crow Primitives

Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Crazy Quilt Block from long ago

Great Grandmother's hand work framed for me. I was named after Malissa Ann, born Jan 6, 1868 in Wirt Co. West Virginia. Her first husband was a Hickerson (thus the initials M.A.H)  This little piece is over 100 years old and was just falling apart. I took it out of my storage tub and I was heartsick..., I was so afraid it would fall apart like paper. As it was, little pieces of the silk were disintegrated and just fell to the floor when I opened the tissue paper. I showed it to Mr. with tears in my eyes and he took it to a local frame shop to see if she could save it. What a miracle, she was able to save it for me and told Mr. this was the most delicate and fragile piece she has ever worked with.
Robert and Drusilla McBride Monroe and two of their daughters. Malissa is sitting on her Fathers lap and I can not read the second name.
 



I am so blessed to have this little quilt. I will treasure it forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment