Rusty Crow Primitives

Saturday, November 8, 2014

Never say Never...

I know you have heard the expression, "never say never". Well,,,, I took a cooking class. I never thought I'd be a Fu Fu chef so "Culinary Classes" were not my thing. I enjoy cooking (sometimes) and eating (all the time) Veggies are my favorite. I know very little about squash and anything other than yellow squash (a/k/a Summer Squash) is pretty much it. I can pick a good pumpkin for the porch, it wont roll off and it will stand up straight.   I don't even carve my pumpkins (jack-O- lanterns)  they sit on the porch until the frost gets them and then they get tossed in the woods for the critters to eat.

Well, I took a cooking class and LOVED it. Remember, never say never. I was one of 45 sitting in on a squash class. Good fall squash! (OMG, I didn't know  how much there was to know all about pumpkins ) . Much like paper piecing a quilt block. (YUCK) I don't like paper piecing either but I think in time I'll find a paper piecing "chef "and they will change my mind like Dean Towers did about squash.


 The only variety I am familiar with cooking is the yellow squash (I call summer squash) and Pumpkin pie (Mrs Smiths) and oh yes....spaghetti squash (YUCK) which I said I didn't like. Well, Dean Towers taught a class and prepared so many dishes from squash. I LOVE squash!   I used his recipes from class for dinner tonight,  but I have to confess, cooking for me is no different than my quilting. I cant just do what I'm told, I have to tweak it to my taste. So here goes...

I'll share this recipe with you since it was from my YUCK list and is now on my LOVE it.

Mediterranean Spaghetti Squash

1 spaghetti squash, whole
2 tablespoon olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 1/2 cups of chopped tomatoes (I used a drained can of Del Monte diced tomatoes with garlic/basil)
3/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
3 tablespoons sliced black olives (I used pitted Kalamata Olives 1/4 cup  sliced)
2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil (Dean brought some from his garden and shared with us)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Pierce skin of spaghetti squash several times and place on baking sheet. Bake 45-60 minutes in the preheated oven until a sharp knife can be inserted with only a little resistance. Remove the squash from the oven and set aside to cool enough to be easily handled. ( I cooked mine early in the day and left it on the cookie sheet until time to cut and prepare our meal)

Cut the squash lengthwise and use a large spoon to scoop the stringy pulp from the squash and place in a medium bowl. (Yes, toss the seeds and other center part, oh yes, you can tell what not to eat) When ready to assemble the dish, heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Cook and stir onion in oil until tender, add garlic; (this is where I added the drained tomatoes to the garlic and onion) cook and stir until fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes. Add squash, stir to mix onion and garlic and heat squash through, Put squash on serving platter and top with chopped tomatoes (remember I used canned tomatoes), olives, feta cheese and fresh chopped basil. Serve warm.
 
heat squash and sprinkle cheese, olives and basil on top

The Fiesta green plate may not have been the best choice for this picture, I served it with Parmesan Crusted Chicken. Yummy.... Enjoy
Here is the link to the chicken recipeParmesan Crusted Chicken

No comments:

Post a Comment