Rusty Crow Primitives

Sunday, March 2, 2014

Georgia on My Mind

Sunny southwest Georgia. We haven't been down here since I was around 10 years old or younger. That's about ....well, more than a few years ago. It was so nice to visit and reminisce with my aunts; wonderful, strong and independent women who are all widows and are living a very full and active life. They make me proud to be a woman. We spent the day touring old homesteads and places I remembered as a child, they told me they could not believe the detail I could recall. My Mother has passed as well as many of the others we remembered that day but the memories remain and we laughed and remembered good times with those we love and loved. It was good to visit with "my mothers people" as they say down here.
 
I love to explore old homes and sit and listen to "remember when" stories forever; maybe that's why genealogy is a great interest to me. It is history, our history.  This was not a successful visit for genealogy but it was a great visit for my soul.

I even made my husband stop so I could pick cotton from the side of the road.  Obviously this was left over from last season but I still wanted it. LOL
Pecan grove in Southwest GA, miles and miles of big trees.
Sweet GA Pecans
This stained glass window in Hopeful, GA was donated by my Great Grandfather, Rev. Taylor in memory of his first wife on the left and his second wife is on the right. His name is in the center.  It made me chuckle, but you have to admit, it is " beautiful!" These women lived in the early 1800's.

150th Anniversary of the Andersonville Prison

My husband loves anything related to the Civil War, since we were going to be so close we made a small detour to Andersonville, GA. It is the 150th Anniversary of the Andersonville Prison.
 
The Camp Sumter military prison at Andersonville was one of the largest Confederate military prisons during the Civil War. During the 14 months the prison existed, more than 45,000 Union soldiers were confined here. Of these, almost 13,000 died here.


 


 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment